Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Why buy a Grill when you can make your own?

Those who know me well, and even those who don't, know that I like my meat. I especially like to grill. However, working my way through college means I don't have the $$$ to spend on a nice grill, and the little table top grills just don't quite cut it for me. So I set off to build my own.

I started off with a 16 gallon barrel like the one I used for my fire barrel. I cut it in half and welded legs underneath which I fabricated out of some metal electrical conduit.
If you look close you'll notice I welded a piece of re-bar around the outside of the lid. This was to reinforce the structure of the lid as well as create a bit of a lip around the edge to seal over the bottom portion.

I welded expanded sheet metal to a re-bar frame to create my grill top 
I add a loose piece of the extra expanded sheet metal in the bottom to prevent the coals from burning through the bottom. You'll also notice a piece of re-bar welded to the inside of the bottom portion, this was to create a ledge for the top grill to sit on.

The barrel conveniently came with vent holes

Lastly I welded on a couple of cupboard hinges.
I love this grill and it works great. The Meat is always tender and juicy and often comes out with a nice smokey flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment